background

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Nesting in Alabama







I've stayed busy the past several weeks doing projects around the house and in the yard. I'm in the process of building 3 new "square foot gardens" for my side yard, and hopefully will have a bumper crop of tomatoes this summer to put up. We have several berry farms around us, so I'm looking forward to putting up some blueberries and blackberries, and getting some cobblers in the freezer for summer guests. Terry finished painting my stairs and railings in the cabin, and I love how fresh it all looks. The color "Summer Cottage" just makes me smile. So much that I have now painted an old table and a small wicker rocker the same color:) I found the rocker in a trashpile at Gulf Shores, and my adult children groaned as I put it in the back of my car. I sewed a new cushion for it, painted it, and...voila- an adorable rocker for the cabin! We have a new screen door which I still need to stain before we hang it ,and the garden beds to build, the compost area to set up...the list never seems to get any shorter. I finished four dresses last night for little Avery Kate and Allie Grace, and have new summer outfits (tops with bloomers) cut out to sew for my grandaughters. I enjoy being creative and am so grateful for a husband that has blessed me with a home that I can care for, and for his encouragement as we make it into a home that reflects the Lord. One of my favorite books is "What is a Family? by Edith Schaefer. I've read it at least 10 times since I first read it in 1975. There is a chapter titled "The Birthplace of Creativity". I quote, "Beauty should be important as an inspiration to doing the best with what is at hand for the Christian homemaker. God put the first family in inspiring surroundings. As much as possible, each new family-which has become a family of two children of the Living God- should prepare a home with as much to inspire as possible." May your week be filled with inspiring moments.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that wicker rocker is like the one my grandad used to rock me in...they left it in Texas when they moved to Arkansas...but seeing yours brought back sweet memories. I'm glad you salvaged it! :) Deanna Brooks

    ReplyDelete