background

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pear Picking

What an overabundance of pears we have this year! It tokk the boys and I about 10 minutes to gather nine bags of pears to make pear butter and preserves with. The pears did not have very good timing, because I had a house full of guests after I picked them. By the time the majority of my guests had left (about four days later), I had about a bags worth that had gone bad. I think the sun coming through the kitchen window wasn't a great idea:). After two days of cooking on the stovetop and baking, I have enough pear bread and preserves to last us through the holidays. For those who asked last year, here is a wonderful easy recipe for making your own bread.
Pear Butter Cake
(Best served in a bowl with warm custard or dollop of thick cream)
6 1/2 oz. butter
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon rind
a good pich of ground cardamom
a large pinch of nutmeg
3 eggs
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. cream
4 ripe pears
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a springform pan. Mix together all ingredients except the pears and bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile peel and core the pears. Take the cake from the oven and quickly scater the diced pears over the top. Sprinkle with about 2 spoons of sugar. Return to the oven and bake for about 45 minutes more.

Delicious on a cold , dreary day! This recie is from one of my favorite cookbooks- "Apples For Jam" by Tessa Kiros. Everyone should own a copy of one of her cookbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment