background

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Maria's Dance Recital


When I was a little girl my sisters and I took ballet lessons from Sulik School of Ballet in Jacksonville, Florida. In exchange for free lessons, my mother sewed the costumes for the recitals each year. I loved ballet. I loved the black leotard and pink tights, and the smell of new pink ballet slippers. I loved watching my mother sew on the pink satin ribbons for the recital, and how we wet the knots to keep the knots tied during the dance. I loved wearing my hair up in a bun for the big night. I remember our costumes- Karen's blue gingham picnic dress, my can-can, the scottish tartan, the Chinese girl, the beautiful blue tulle skirt. So this is why, when my daughters were little, they also took ballet. Katie and I caught two busses in Florence, Italy in order for her to dance at Accademia dei Piccoli. They have been around for over a hundred years, and I loved walking up the winding staircase and looking at the pictures of recitals in the early 1900's. I loved the piano and the little girls all lined up to enter the room with their little pink leotards with pale pink silk skirts, woolen leg warmers, pink slippers, and little pink wool wrap sweaters to keep them warm in this old, drafty building. I bought Katie a little bag with "danza" embroidered on it for her to keep her slippers in. away from little brothers and sisters. It was a special time for just the two of us- unusual when you are the oldest of four. Sweet memories. And now, the years have flown, and Maria now carries this same little dance bag of her mama's. Terry and I made a special trip two weeks ago to our granddaughter's first recital. She was a lovely butterfly in Noah's ark. She was beautiful and beamed throughout her performance. I am grateful for a studio that emphasizes the innocence and purity of childhood. It was a precious performance. Afterwards we all went to Aunt Kathi's house for a special ballerina tea. Kathi, having shared my ballet memories, made new ones for my Maria. Special iced cakes, ballerina napkins, and pink punch. Perfection! We bought her a music box and necklace to mark the special occasion. You see, Maria is also one of four little ones. And it is so easy to get lost in the crowd of a big family, no matter how wonderful and special they are. So for this one day, it was all about Maria and her ballet slippers. Ballerina Girl, you are so lovely...

No comments:

Post a Comment