background

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Things Pondered

This past week was a time of contentment. I was blessed with words of encouragement, good conversations with friends and loved ones, and quiet times of reflection. I had a doctor's visit for bloodwork and have made good strides with exercising and eating wiser. This morning was my first weigh-in. #-5.2. VERY excited. Thank you to those who are cheering me on.
I picked up a wonderful little book from the library this week. Titled "Things Pondered- From the Heart of a Lesser Woman" by Beth Moore. It's a small but powerful book. There was a poem that really spoke to me.

Hope

 I've grown old enough to know
that fairies don't have tails
That good men often suffer
While evil men prevail.
I've tried to find that white frame house
With matching picket fences
But found instead black picket signs
And hatred's thorny fences.
I've lived enough of life to see
The innocent maligned
And I've concluded fairness is
A rarity to find.
I've seen the noble dreams of man
Be in an instant shattered
I sigh to see another woman
Used and bruised and battered.
I've seen shots of tiny orphans
As rulers rise and fall
I've stood by stricken parents
And caskets way too small.
I've abandoned childish notions
That life is like pretend
I've tossed paper to the ground and sobbed,
"When will this madness end?"
But I've never grown up quite enough
To leave my hope behind
I'll think I've turned my back on hope
Then bump into the kind
Of Gentle Traveler sent to bind
My wounded faith with love
Who sets my feet upon a Rock
And mind on things above.
Then I find myself still hoping
Old folks won't be left alone
And can't seem to quit believing
Daddies still might move back home.
And that an orphan might just find
A reason to survive
And parents of the missing
Might just find their son alive.
No, I've never grown up quite enough
To scorn sweet signs of Spring
Nor can I help but think a tree
Is happy with a swing.
And you must pardon if I hope
The Pearl of Heaven's Gate
Is the treasure I've adored
And longed to celebrate.
I hope to hug the ones I've loved
And jump on cotton clouds
Where angels sing His holiness
And saints can laugh out loud.
Some bedtime tales are worth the tell-
May one be quickly due
Let Gabriel groom that great white horse
And board Faithful and True.
So let this world's prince mock and scorn
My hope is not ashamed
For in the King of kingdom's grand
My Hope has found a Name.

Beth Moore

As we  meet together tomorrow to celebrate Him, may our hope be restored and renewed. This afternoon I am going to enjoy feasting on His Word, and marvel at the beautiful day He has given me. This evening we will be sharing a meal with one of God's "gentle travellers". My children and their families will all be here for Thanksgiving. If the Lord wills it, we will all worship together. Hopes and dreams will be shared, prayed over, cried over, rejoiced over. Let us all encourage one another.

2 comments:

  1. This passage of scripture has become one of my favorites over the last few months. Hope it speaks to you too:))

    Psalm 62
    For the director of music. For Jeduthun. A psalm of David.
    1 My soul finds rest in God alone;
    my salvation comes from him.
    2 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

    3 How long will you assault a man?
    Would all of you throw him down—
    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?

    4 They fully intend to topple him
    from his lofty place;
    they take delight in lies.
    With their mouths they bless,
    but in their hearts they curse.
    Selah

    5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
    my hope comes from him.

    6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

    7 My salvation and my honor depend on God [a] ;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

    8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.
    Selah

    9 Lowborn men are but a breath,
    the highborn are but a lie;
    if weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
    together they are only a breath.

    10 Do not trust in extortion
    or take pride in stolen goods;
    though your riches increase,
    do not set your heart on them.

    11 One thing God has spoken,
    two things have I heard:
    that you, O God, are strong,

    12 and that you, O Lord, are loving.
    Surely you will reward each person
    according to what he has done.

    Love you!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of the day I am having,I can always come to your blog and leave with a smile and happiness in my heart. Thank you. Chris Jordan

    ReplyDelete