background

Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Best Friend

After a week full of family...children, small dogs, s'mores around the campfire, guitar playing, kinecting (new game), and a LOT of laughter...our holiday is over. This evening the last two headed back to Texas, and we returned home to our much quieter house. I went out to gather linens from the cabin, and as I turned off the lights on the tree, and the little lamp in the windowsill. I was filled with such contentment. I know my many gifts come from God alone, through nothing I have ever done. I am very undeserving . I sometimes have wondered if one of the reasons I have been so blessed is because of the man I travel through life with. That just maybe God is blessing him, and because I am with him, I get to share his blessings. I write often about my six children, their spouses and my adorable grandchildren. But I don't usually say much about the love of my life. I was a 17 year old girl when I met this wonderful Italian man on campus and heard him play the guitar on the front lawn. And now 34 years later, I once again sit by the campfire and listen as he sings "Annie's Song" for me.The greatest gift I could have ever given my children is the man who is their father. He loves unselfishly. We have been through much together---the loss of our first son, raising a houseful of children, homes in foreign lands, health issues--and once again making a new home together. And each step of the way we have had so much fun. He makes me laugh. I know he would give his life for me. I'm reminded of the book of Titus, where older women are told to teach the younger women to love their husbands. Some husbands make that a very easy thing to do. I pray that each of my girls will one day have with their husbands what I share with their father. I also pray that each of my four sons will live their lives in a way, that their wives will love them the way I love their Dad. It doesn't happen overnight. We are both imperfect people. But I look forward to growing older with him, the Lord willing. I want to share much more laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Trying again to comment on this post. I wish more women would talk openly about how much they love their husbands and what a blessing they are to them. Just yesterday morning before church I posted on my husband's facebook page that I love my honey. I thank God everyday for the wonderful gift (my husband) that He blessed me with 22 years ago. We have had many struggles and yet through it all, I have had a deep and abiding love for my husband. God knew what He was doing when the two of us met. John balances me out. I am so thankful for him and the way he works so hard to provide for us. I am still learning to love him more completely. Thank you, Kim, for being a godly example to me, to encourage me in my walk with the Lord and to love my husband and serve him cheerfully and with a thankful heart. I am always uplifted when I visit your blog to become a better wife, mother and friend. The title of your blog says it all....blessings! God has blessed us so richly and we are thankful!

    ReplyDelete