background

Monday, December 13, 2010

Our Beautiful Town

I just ran across these pictures of downtown Florence at Christmastime and knew my children would love them. Our first Christmas in Florence (1984) was wonderful and COLD! Living in a 16th century villa sounded quaint, but those stone walls kept things pretty chilly. I remember dreading being away from my family in this strange land...and then having my parents and Aunt Rema arrive from Florida, and both of my brothers and sister-in-law arrive from Nigeria. Each Christmas became better and better as Florence became our home. Strolling the streets late at night with our four little ones eating roasted chestnuts, stopping at Gilli's for hot chocolate...not to mention our nightly ritual looking for an International Herald and a USA Today. The sweet memories of our children's school programs, shopping for Christmas outfits at Coin, and letting them pick out new hats and mittens at Upim. It was in Italy that we began our tradition of making plates of sweets to pass out to our local merchants and friends...Silvano the fruit man, Mario, our barman, Antonio the gardener. And each year we were blessed with many baskets of panettone, candies, and other goodies in exchange. The dearest of our friends received olive oil from our groves. I learned long ago that we can't be everywhere at once, and I am grateful for this year. A year where all of my children are on this continent. There will be no phone calls to Wuhan, China this year...or Catania, Sicily. On Friday I will be with all of my brothers and sisters, and each of my children. I will add another daughter to my family. And I hopethat one day, if the Lord allows, we can all share another Christmas in Florence, and that I can share the beautiful streets of my city with all of my children and grandchildren. Buon Natale!

No comments:

Post a Comment