background

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Paula's Shrimp and Creamy Cheddar Grits

I had such a lovely visit with my sister, Kathi, last night. After a GPS mishap, we finally made it to Zoe's where we ate dinner and then made a short trip over to the bookstore. Surrounded by magazines with Fall recipes and Autumn leaves on the cover I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I settled on Cooking with Paula Deen Sept/October 2010 because a brief glance through confirmed I could pronounce all of her ingredients:) For dinner I made these amazing grits. Not a "quick" meal, but well worth the extra effort. Side note for those living in the Montgomery area, I buy my stone ground grits at Oakview Farms off of Rifle Range Road.

6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
1/2 c each of diced red and yellow bell peppers
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbl Creole Seasoning
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 pound fresh shrimp, large, peeled and deveined
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
2 Tbl fresh minced chives
Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and cook peppers, garlic and seasoning in drippings for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook 2 more minutes. Stir frequently. Increas heatto med-high and add shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes until shrimp are pink and firm. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and minced chives.
 Serve over creamy cheddar grits.

Creamy Cheddar Grits
1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
1 c water
1 c. stone ground white grits
1 c half and half
1 1/2 c shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese (I found it at Winn-Dixie)
3 Tbl butter
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
In a med. saucepan, combine chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Add grits, stirring until combined. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until the consistency you like. Stir in half and half and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, butter and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Everyone in the family LOVED it!

No comments:

Post a Comment