background

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Velma's Sweet Corn Pudding

I love the Fall of the year. Once the leaves begin falling I want to spend more time in the kitchen and sewing room. I spent this morning wandering in the Wetumpka area. I discovered a blackberry and blueberry farm right next to the Granary. I wandered in the flea market and found a great source for used books. I paid a visit to the Winn Dixie and was pleasantly surprised. I believe it will be my store of choice. Having an entire Saturday afternoon ahead of me with nothing I HAD to do, boys riding the horse in the front yard, and Terry comfortably enjoying a relaxing day, I headed to the kitchen and started on one of my new recipes.This was so easy and tasted exactly like a comfort food should. This dish makes 12 servings as a side dish, but for a family of four is just right with a side dish of cheese and apples for supper. This recipe was also from Paula Deen's Sept/Oct issue.

2 large Eggland's Best Eggs
1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
6 Tbl butter, melted
3/4 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbl all-purpose flour
1 1/2 (20 ounce) packages frozen cream style corn ( I use one white and one yellow), thawed

1.Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add evaporated milk, butter, sugar, salt, pepper, and vanilla stirring to combine. Stir in flour and corn
2. Pour into prepared dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.

Now I need to go make a second one for tomorrow's church dinner:) Husbands just don't understand the pressure:) Tomorrow is the first time I will bring food to the church potluck. What I bring could determine my "standing" for years to come. Do I make life easier on myself and bring warmed up chicken wings and storebought cookies served on one of my nicest plates? Because these folks have been so warm and welcoming I really want to offer my best. Corny, huh? So I'm making Sweet Corn Pudding, New Orleans Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce and Chili-Lime Southwest Wraps. Yes, Jessica, I believe you're right. We need to make sure the church lady traditions are carried on by the women in our family. It does make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I know the women at church will be delighted with your dishes. Of course this sets the standard of what they'll expect EVERY potluck. :-) Glad you are loving Wetumpka, I love hearing about your adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete